[TriLUG] Mozilla 1.4 mailcap/mime.types question

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Thu Aug 7 15:54:01 EDT 2003

Ken Wahl wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:54:07AM -0400, Janyne Kizer wrote:
>
>>I was wondering if any of you have figured out where Mozilla 1.4 looks
>>for systemwide (for multiuser installs) mailcap/mime.types information?
>> We are migrating from an old version of Netscape to Mozilla 1.4.
>>Netscape looked for it in /usr/local/lib/netscape/mailcap and
>>/usr/local/lib/netscape/mime.types.  Any pointers would be appreciated!
>>

> Not sure but might be worth looking at...
>
> On my Red Hat 9 box using Mozilla 1.4 from mozilla.org, I have 2
> mimeTypes.rdf files.  One in ~/.mozilla and one in
> /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/defaults/profile
>
> /usr/lib/mozilla is a symlink pointing to /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4

Thanks for the tip.  That's a step in the right direction.  From what I
can tell the file usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/defaults/profile/mimeTypes.rdf is
copied when new .mozilla directories are created.  I am looking for a
way to have it look to the server for a mimeTypes setting rather than in
each individual's homedir.  Still hunting.... :-)

--

Janyne Kizer
Systems Programmer Administrator