[TriLUG] Advice on running an OSS project?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Aug 13 22:59:48 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 22:18, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> TriLUG has actually talked about hosting local open source
> projects some.  We have a machine in our rack right now that
> is just waiting on a volunteer to step up and get GForge
> (http://www.gforge.org/) working on it. O:-)  We've also
> mentioned a CVS and/or possibly a Subversion server.  In
> addition, we recently started hosting the mailing lists
> for the Aurora Sparc Linux project.  So, basically, if you
> decide to go through with your project and need a place
> to host it, you might consider asking here. :-)

Hi Tanner (& others),

I recently did a GForge install for work (http://dev.mitgcm.org).  It
was painful to figure out for the first time, but I'm pretty certain
that a couple of people could get it setup and working fairly quickly
(say, in a few hours over a few evenings?) on one of TriLUG's boxes.

So would anyone be interested in tackling this project along with me?
I'm more than willing to take the lead on the install.  What I'd like
help with is the day-to-day admin and maintenance (which is a pretty
small workload) after the initial setup.  Oh, and perhaps some help with
improving the GForge RPMs.  I made some (small!) fixes to the existing
RPMs but they're not particularly well-made or well-maintained.

So any takers?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com