[TriLUG] More hardware woes

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu Aug 14 11:02:29 EDT 2003

OK - so I put in the new power supply, along with a new fan I had been
waiting to install, and turned it on. Everything came up beautifully - the
system started doing an fsck because it had been poorly brought down when
the power supply died.

Suddenly... nothing. Screen died, fans and drives stayed on, no keyboard
LED's.  I smell burning plastic.  Yank the power cable, open up the case,
and now I can turn it on to the point of getting fans and drives to spin
up, and power LED's on, but no video and no system beeps.  Furthermore,
there's a transistor that's visibly melted on the motherboard. (Yikes!)

The MB is under warranty, so I'm going to get it replaced. My question for
y'all is: can you think of something I might have done to cause this? I'd
rather not plop in the new MB, just to have it melt again.

The MB was installed in November, it's a Gigabyte GA-7VAX.

ap