[TriLUG] More hardware woes

Nathan Conrad conrad at bungled.net
Thu Aug 14 14:09:08 EDT 2003

I actually am at my friend's house near San Francisco (it as a nice
place) and he got me to look at his computer which was exhibiting the
same symptoms, although I could not find the melted transistor. It
turned out that one of the motherboard mounting brackets was installed
on the motherboard tray under a point on the motherboard where there
was no screwhole and it shorted some of the traces on the
motherboard. I've also seen screws that have been dropped and landed
under the motherboard shorting things out.

-Nathan