[TriLUG] Server DEAD!

auto668 at hush.com auto668 at hush.com
Thu Aug 28 12:05:07 EDT 2003

Serious issue here, I've had a server running for a couple weeks doing
some production virtual hosting.  All has been running great, everything
was configured and running fine I haven't done ANYTHING other than run
uup2date periodically.  Well, today I'm about to do a test on the box
after installing the Real Media server and here's what happens...

[root at www Helix]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables: line 41: 14950 Done                    /sbin/lsmod
2>/dev/null
     14951 Segmentation fault      | grep -q ipchains

[root at www Helix]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables restart
/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables: line 41: 14966 Done                    /sbin/lsmod
2>/dev/null
     14967 Segmentation fault      | grep -q ipchains

****SO I DECIDE, I'M LOST, LET'S just try rebooting for the sake of reboting**

Now it won't even come back up, I can't copy/paste but here is some of
what I'm getting

45 Segmentation Fault
     LC_ALL=C grep -q "Red Hat" /etc/redhat-release  RedHat Linux

Mounting proc filesystem                               [FAILED]
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit :  Line 98:   Segmentation Fault   LC_ALL=C
grep -q

Coninues this for about 3/4 more lines and totally quits after setting
hostname.

I literally, haven't done anything other than load the updates using
up2date form the command line.  Only had ssh/apache running.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate as I said this is a production
box and one customer has already called since this happened1

WHY ME!

laura

https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434