[TriLUG] Server DEAD!

rasch at raschnet.com rasch at raschnet.com
Thu Aug 28 12:10:39 EDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:05:07AM -0700, auto668 at hush.com wrote:
> Serious issue here, I've had a server running for a couple weeks doing
> some production virtual hosting.  All has been running great, everything
> was configured and running fine I haven't done ANYTHING other than run
> uup2date periodically.  Well, today I'm about to do a test on the box
> after installing the Real Media server and here's what happens...
>
> [root at www Helix]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables: line 41: 14950 Done                    /sbin/lsmod
> 2>/dev/null
>      14951 Segmentation fault      | grep -q ipchains
>
> [root at www Helix]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables restart
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables: line 41: 14966 Done                    /sbin/lsmod
> 2>/dev/null
>      14967 Segmentation fault      | grep -q ipchains
>
> ****SO I DECIDE, I'M LOST, LET'S just try rebooting for the sake of reboting**
>
> Now it won't even come back up, I can't copy/paste but here is some of
> what I'm getting
>
> 45 Segmentation Fault
>      LC_ALL=C grep -q "Red Hat" /etc/redhat-release  RedHat Linux
>
> Mounting proc filesystem                               [FAILED]
>     /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit :  Line 98:   Segmentation Fault   LC_ALL=C
> grep -q
>
> Coninues this for about 3/4 more lines and totally quits after setting
> hostname.
>
> I literally, haven't done anything other than load the updates using
> up2date form the command line.  Only had ssh/apache running.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciate as I said this is a production
> box and one customer has already called since this happened1

Last time I started getting Seg. faults in system programs was when our
office machine had been "root-kitted" via the samba exploit (why wasn't
it firewalled!?).  I hope this hasn't happened to you!  I ended up
re-installing as opposed to playing cleanup, because I kept losing
ground by touching one of the replaced binaries.  Did you change
anything prior to this crash?

Best of luck,
    David