[TriLUG] Roadrunner Question

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 28 14:46:11 EDT 2003

Cool... the FBI.  Let's hope the FBI is gathering data for an upcoming
raid against SCO. :)

Seriously though, if you have your box set up at home and it's
connected to the RR network we can do a couple of things.

First question is are you running NAT/IP Masq. and is the Linux box
acting as a router which passes traffic from your home network to the
Internet?  If so, we're in good shape.

Edit the /etc/sysconfig/network file (these instructions work for R.Hat
Linux - you didn't mention which distro you are running).
Add a line to the file and set for your hostname using the following
format:

HOSTNAME=myhostname

Save and close the file and restart the box and you're good to go.  If
you'd like to access your box from the Internet check out
www.dyndns.org which will allow you to set a hostname of you choosing
on a variety of domains and you can map your dynamic ip address from RR
to a hostname which will be resolvable on the Internet.   You really
can't go wrong with a Linux attached box to RR for broadband - it's
great stuff.

Greg