[TriLUG] Email server

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 2 14:15:06 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 13:20, Michael Thompson wrote:
> I remember using something called vpopmail with a qmail server, allowed
> you to create virtual accounts with a web based admin.  IIRC I had to
> download qmail, vpopmail and the web client separately.
>
> --mike

Yep.  You'll need to use a virtual popper if you don't want to have
accounts setup.

On the other hand, you can simply use the pop3 contained in the imap rpm
and then setup accounts that have default shells of '/sbin/nologin',
then the users can receive mail, pop for it, but have no other access to
the server.

If you're just interested in a hundred or less mail/pop users then this
is the simplest choice.  If you're heading into a larger install than
that, you should look at something like the vpopmail/qmail combo

http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail.html

Good Luck - Jon Carnes