[TriLUG] windows is now open?

Ken Wahl ken at kenwahl.org
Fri Sep 19 16:05:29 EDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 01:53:08PM -0400, Mark Kempster wrote:
> In the vein of 'it depends on what the definition of is is'
> Wired has an article today about ATMs running windows.
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60497,00.html
>

> Quote of interest:
>
> [Gwenn Bezard] concluded the banking industry is ready to scrap IBM's
> OS/2 operating system, which powers most ATMs today. They would prefer
> Windows, a platform they consider "open" in that it is compatible with
> their internal corporate networks.

That's wonderful.  I really feel safe about my money being in the bank
now.

A few questions:

No chance that these ATM's are running MS RPC services?

Will I have to wait for the ATM to download 16 megs of "Critical
Security Updates" everytime I go to make a withdrawal?

Can my ATM card now carry a 'virus' that converts my $20's to $5's and
if so how do I keep my ATM card virus scanner up-to-date?

Will I need to pay MS a license fee for every ATM transaction?

If I hold down the keys "Enter" "Clear" and "OK" on the ATM keypad will
a little window pop open that allows me clean out everyone elses account
and shut down the ATM?

If a bank hacker codes a malicious javascript into my banks ATM, will it
crash ATMExplorer and send the hacker my pin number?

Just curious..
--
Ken Wahl  ken at kenwahl.org  http://www.kenwahl.org