[TriLUG] Smoothwall

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Fri Sep 19 20:55:15 EDT 2003

<ryan.wheaton at comcast.net> wrote:
> > has anyone heard of or used this before?
> >
> > www.smoothwall.org.
> >
> > if so, what do you think of it?
>
> I'd never heard of it.  The website is pretty high on # of links and
> pretty low on info.  I guess it's a project like the former linux
> router project (LRP), which provides a fully function router/firewall
> as a bootable image.
>
> David

despite the somewhat cheesy website, smoothwall is an excellent and easy
to install/use firewall/router distro.  i installed it on a pentium 100
with 32mb ram to handle the biz class RR connection at my wife's office
over a year ago, and aside from filling up the logs on a 1gb drive it's
run without a hitch.  it will even accomodate three nics if you want to
set it up with a DMZ, and it can act as a IPSEC VPN tunnel endpoint as
well.  highly recommended.

jason