[TriLUG] Public WiFi Efforts (was "...Ditch RoadRunner?)

David R.Matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Sun Sep 21 23:08:12 EDT 2003

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 11:23  AM, Mark Turner wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 11:14, burnett at pobox.com wrote:
>
>> I'm reading this article as iNYC Wireless pirated the connection, then
>> resold the stolen connectivity in direct competition with Time
>> Warner's
>> own wireless service.
>
> D'oh. Nevermind. I confused iNYC Wireless (apparently a commercial
> provider) with NYC Wireless (free wireless). Two separate animals. I
> was
> under the impression TWC was going after the free one. Mea culpa.
>
> If the iNYC group was reselling TWC service ourside of their terms of
> service, then more power to Time Warner in suing them.
>
> Y'all can all go back to your regularly-scheduled programs. :-)

Mark --

if you are interested in public wireless access as a community service,
you can try to support whatever is in your area.  in Carrboro, NC they
are just now ironing out the ground work for such a service.

http://tocwireless.net/

there may be one in your area. i would say to take a look at:

http://www.wi-fizone.org/

and for some strange distro flame bait, this bit from the last message
posted to the TOC-WIRELESS listserv (no, not written by me):

http://listserv.townofcarrboro.org/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0308&L=toc-
wireless-l&T=0&F=&S=&P=705

"Also, what are your thoughts on OS you will be using - Linux? What
distribution will you use? Debian? Personally, I have "issues" with Red
Hat - technically is GREAT, but making money off of Linux just does not
sit
right with me."

'cause Red Hat is the *only* company making $$$ off linux and doing so
is, in essence, disgusting and morally bankrupt.  he he he

i'm still waiting for evidence that this is not simply some scheme
cooked up by law enforcement to snoop public traffic and use PATRIOT
and Son of PATRIOT against unsuspecting Americans...  at least /think/
about that idea before you go re-selling (or providing "free") internet
access to anyone.  do you want to be responsible for the packets they
are pushing or sucking on the network?

dave m.