[TriLUG] root access

Stephen Hoffman srhoffman at hofftech.net
Mon Sep 22 09:12:33 EDT 2003

Boot into single user mode, you'll be logged in as root automatically and
you can issue passwd.  to do it from grub edit your boot line so that at
the end of the first line you add "single".  For Lilo, from the prompt
type "linux single" and you'll go into single user (init 1) and modify tha
password.  As for being hacked, if you had a simple password, its always
possible, but once you are in with root access again, check your logs,
check  "last | more" to see if any logins were recorded at times you were
sleeping or away.

HTH
Steve