[TriLUG] help with install

Scott Thomas scott at tridsys.com
Mon Sep 22 09:37:16 EDT 2003

I'm new to TriLUG, please let me know if this isn't the correct list to
post this question to.

I'm trying to install RH 9.0 on a Compaq Presario (with Cyrix MII
processor).  Since my kids also use this machine to play educational
games, I've added a 2nd disk to install RH on, and will keep WindowsXP
on the 1st drive.   The installation went smoothly.  However, after I
rebooted, the machine just hangs.  It reads the boot floppy, and starts
to load the kernel, but after about a screen full of messages, it just
stops.  When I tried to boot Windows, GRUB starts, but then it too just
hangs.  All I get is a black screen with "GRUB" at the top

so can any of the more seasoned RH gurus out there please give me a hint
what's going wrong?

thanks,

--
Scott Thomas