[TriLUG] Redhat 9 questiion on how to allways force an FSCK on non clean power down

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Sep 23 10:54:17 EDT 2003

Ralph Blach wrote:

> I have a headless redhat 9 server and want to know how to
> make sure that if a non clean power down occurs, how I force an
> fsck since I will not be able to see the question.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chip

Look in /etc/rc.sysinit.  Search for fsck.  That's where the check
occurs.  It looks like it takes settings for the auto fsck from
/etc/sysconfig/autofsck.  If you set $AUTOFSCK_DEF_CHECK equal to "yes"
in that file (it doesn't appear on my system, so you may have to create
it), it will check by default if it's been shutdown uncleanly.  It will
prompt to skip the check, or just perform the check depending on the
value of $PROMPT (which you can also set within that file).

Joseph