[TriLUG] Replacing Hard Drive

Joshua Gitlin josh at glowfilms.com
Fri Sep 26 19:43:32 EDT 2003

Hey Eveyone,

So I've given up on my problematic hard drive... Almost every morning when
I check my server it's dead, complaining of IDE errors. I've replaced
everything else but the motherboard, and I've even switched IDE channels on
the motherboard. So I've decided to replace my hard drive (30 gigs) with a
21 gig drive I have. My question is, after hooking the new drive up and
formating it... what's next? I can't just use `cp -R` to copy my existing
linux install over to the new drive, right? I mean, won't all my /dev
entries be lost? I can't use dd because the drives are different sizes! And
I can't tar my entire disk because I have about 2o gigs of stuff on there
now... where would I put the tar file? (Unless I can do `tar -c / | tar -x
/tmp/newsystem` ?) How can I get my linux installation off my current drive
and onto the new drive? DO I have to copy /etc and /var and just...
reinstall? I hope not... Is there another way? Thanks guys.

-Josh