[TriLUG] ip_forward questions

mhrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 18:31:41 EDT 2003

I use the following iptables rules to forward a port for VNC.  You may
notice that the guide you are reading is over three years old, written when
ipchains was used.  It has been replaces with iptables, which I consider
more complicated but amazingly powerful.  There are a number of kernel
options related to the functionality of iptables.

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -p tcp --dport 5900 -j ACCEPT

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 5900 -j DNAT /
 --to-destination 192.168.1.2

I suggest chewing on "man iptables" for a while.  Looking at examples helps
a lot.

Michael