[TriLUG] Linksys WPC11 v.4 (wireless PCMCIA)

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Oct 13 14:03:27 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 13:28, Frye, Matthew wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I started with a D-Link DWL-650 which supposedly uses
> PrismII, but there was some question about that because D-Link allegedly
> changed chipsets several times without changing model numbers.  Let me tell
> you, D-Link support leaves much to be desired.  They were unable to identify
> the chipset on their own card.  I can tell you that I tried much harder on
> the D-Link because I wanted it to "do well" considering I have a D-Link
> router (DI-614+).  So the question goes out again...for both the DWL-650 and
> the Netgear MA401.  Like I said, this is business need, so I really need to
> get something working.  Thanks.

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear about your Linux WiFi card problems.  I have two PrismII-
based cards (a Linksys WPC11 v.3 and ancient Addtron AWP-100) and both
work well using the orinoco driver as shipped with RH 9.

So heres a place (NetGate.com) that sells WiFi equipment and seems to
put a lot of effort into documenting how well each unit works with Linux
(and *BSD):

  http://www.netgate.com/EL2511.html

Perhaps you could arrange to have them FedEx you a unit quickly.

hth,
Ed

ps - I am in no way connected with the company and have not myself
     ordered anything from them -- I only say them mentioned on
     another LUG list that I follow.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com