[TriLUG] Problems with Redhat 9/2.4.20-19.9

Brian Weaver weave at oculan.com
Fri Oct 17 12:10:25 EDT 2003

Dmitry,

The "official" answer I got from 3Ware was to pull down the drivers from
their site and put them into my kernel. I noticed that the offical
drivers from the 6400 serials was pretty old compared to what was in the
current kernel. The last working version of the kernel that I had which
did not cause problems with the 3Ware cards that I have was the 2.4.19
series.

The 2.4.19 drivers were newer than what I downloaded from 3Ware. I
basically took the official RedHat source for the kernel in /usr/src and
made a copy to modify. I modified the new copy with the 2.4.19 drivers,
did a make oldconfig and built. The kernel has been running like a champ
ever since.

I haven't had the time to track down what changed between 2.4.19 and
2.4.20 to see what the problem is. I kind of assumed that the driver was
updated to fit their newest cards and it doesn't like the older cards.

-Weave

--

   "My shoes are too tight and I've forgotten how to dance."
    - Londo Mollari