[TriLUG] Mandrake 9.2 mirror

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 17 23:15:10 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 22:05, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The TriLUG mirror of the Mandrake 9.2 binary and source trees is
> now available.  It can be found at the following URLs:
>
> ftp://ftp.trilug.org/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/
> http://mirrors.trilug.org/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/
>
> Anonymous ftp is bandwidth limited.  Login using your registered
> TriLUG e-mail address and membership number to get unmetered
> access (realizing, of course, that trilug only has a 1mbps
> connection).
>
> The Mandrake 9.2 ISOs are *not* available as TriLUG does
> not mirror ISOs (due to bandwidth limitations).  In addition,
> the Mandrake ISOs have not been publically released, so even
> if we did mirror isos we wouldn't mirror them yet.  (In fact,
> I would please urge that people not download the isos
> if they are not a mandrake club member until they are released
> publically in a couple of weeks.  Doing so only hurts mandrake
> and won't help them create new distributions.)
>
> But, even though the isos are not available, it's very easy to
> do a network installation.  One of the nice things about doing
> a network installation is that once you're done, Mandrake automatically
> configures their software installation program (urpmi or rpmdrake)
> to use that source in case you later want to install other
> software.
>
> Please enjoy! :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner Lovelace

To do a network install using this mirror, download the Mandrake 9.2
boot disk image and write it out to a floppy, then plug your computer
into an internet connection and boot off that floppy.

1) The standard boot image:
ftp://ftp.trilug.org/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/i586/images/network.img

2) Write it to disk:

  For Windows you will need to use "rawwritewin.exe".
  If you don't have it, download it here:
ftp://ftp.trilug.org/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/i586/dosutils/rawwritewin.exe

  - Run: rawwritewin.exe
  - Insert a blank floppy in the floppy drive
  - You will be prompted for an image, choose the network.img
    that you downloaded earlier.
  - Select A: (if that is your floppy drive with the blank floppy)
  - Click on "Write"

  For Linux, use "dd" to write the image to a floppy
  - Insert a blank floppy into the floppy drive
  - My floppy drive is /dev/fd0 (grep floppy /etc/fstab)
  - Use the dd command to copy the disk image to the floppy:
      dd if=network.img of=/dev/fd0

Note: there are safer ways of creating the floppy, but if it doesn't
have any media errors (the floppy that is) then this will work fine - as
it always has for me. If the disk doesn't boot right, then throw it away
and use another floppy

Aside: a fellow Trilugger once had a whole batch of bad floppies and
went through the torture of making 4 disks in a row (the fourth one
being from a different box) before getting a disk that booted.  Yep, the
first three were bad. Now in my day...

3) Connect your Installation PC to the internet and boot off the Floppy
you just created.

For an FTP install, use
  host = ftp.trilug.org  (or 64.244.27.139)
  base directory = /linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/i586

After booting, you will also be prompted to configure the
network, and the installation program will then be downloaded.

After the installer has been downloaded over the network, installation
is exactly the same as with a CD-ROM, except that packages are
downloaded as needed.

Best wishes for a happy Installation!

Jon Carnes