[TriLUG] [Offtopic] IBM inline for new jobs

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 10:28:02 EST 2003

Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> Sorry for the offtopic, but I thought it's interesting for Triangle Linuxedrs:
>
> IBM will be adding 10,000 new jobs . It's expected that a good share will be
> created in RTP. Key areas for new jobs will be Linux and open-standards.
>
> I think that this is good for Triangle Linuxers :)

On a (somewhat) related note...  I say somewhat related, since IBM is
one of the big proponents of Grid / Utility Computing:

http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2003/10/20/daily51.html?jst=b_ln_hl

A new economic report says grid computing could be a $10 billion boost
to North Carolina's economy through 2010.

This report will be the subject of the North Carolina Grid Computing
Initiative Forum next week in Chapel Hill. Robert Cohen, president of
Cohen Communications Group, produced the report for the Rural Internet
Access Authority. It projects the impact of companies and state
universities linking their mainframe computers together to help solve
major research problems and develop new biotechnology and engineered
products.

MCNC, North Carolina's nonprofit technology research agency, is hosting
the forum Oct. 28-29 at the Friday Center in Chapel Hill.