[TriLUG] OT - wolves are circling the sheep

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 28 12:28:59 EST 2003

I am filtering email in Kmail.  It's fairly effective and now I am able to
put off using separate MTA-MDA-MUA apps (which I want to do) for even longer.
 Ditching everything containing "<html" and "<a href" and anything above 60kB
eliminates most junk.  I review the junk folder daily as I tune the filters.
Today I found an email containing an invitation to give away personal ebay
information. Here is the essence of the email which is edited for brevity and
safety.  I marvel that anyone capable of getting a computer connected to the
Internet would fall for a ploy so obvious as this.

We at eBay are sorry to inform you that we are having problems with the
billing information of your account. We would appreciate it if you would
visit our website <a
href="http://www.ebay.com:longstringofgarbage@211.56.245.66:7301/"
target="_blank">eBay Billing Center</a> and fill out the proper information
that we are needing to keep you as an eBay member.

I feel sorry for the sheep.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)