[TriLUG] OT - wolves are circling the sheep

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 28 11:31:46 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 12:28, Mike Mueller wrote:
> . Here is the essence of the email which is edited for brevity and
> safety.

Well, you didn't actually delete the IP address for "safety" (I have
now).

>  I marvel that anyone capable of getting a computer connected to the
> Internet would fall for a ploy so obvious as this.
>
> We at eBay are sorry to inform you that we are having problems with the
> billing information of your account. We would appreciate it if you would
> visit our website <a
> href="http://www.ebay.com:longstringofgarbage@127.0.0.1:7301/"
> target="_blank">eBay Billing Center</a> and fill out the proper information
> that we are needing to keep you as an eBay member.

What is especially amusing about this, and scary given how many people
might fall for this, is that eBay does not keep "Billing Information"
anyway, unless you are seller.  Most eBay members are buyers, and the
billling information is submitted directly to the seller/merchant, not
eBay itself.

--Jeremy