[TriLUG] linux routing example

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Wed Oct 29 14:47:21 EST 2003

Mike Mueller wrote:

>On Wednesday 29 October 2003 12:48, Jason Tower wrote:

>>even if they were re-routed thru the still active interface, it would
>>probably break the tcp connection since the host at the other end would
>>see a different source IP.  however, this is only conjecture since i
>>have not tried it.
>>

>Tartar Sauce!  This setup is for ISP transition and not high-availability.
>This setup makes perfect sense for ISP transition.  I was going in the HA
>direction with my questions. (just found this: http://linux-ha.org/failover/)

We are looking at a similar setup at our office.  We have 2 ISP's, one
DSL and one T1.  We have dedicated traffic for each ISP, but we want to
set it up so that if one goes down the router will say "hey, that link
is down go this way," but we also want to know when the link is back up
and then normal traffic will resume.  Would we have to look at routing
protocols ie igrp, etc. or is this feature readily available with Linux
routing?
chris