[TriLUG] linux routing example

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 29 15:07:24 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 14:47, Chris Bullock wrote:

> We are looking at a similar setup at our office.  We have 2 ISP's, one
> DSL and one T1.  We have dedicated traffic for each ISP, but we want to
> set it up so that if one goes down the router will say "hey, that link
> is down go this way," but we also want to know when the link is back up
> and then normal traffic will resume.  Would we have to look at routing
> protocols ie igrp, etc. or is this feature readily available with Linux
> routing?
> chris

In order to do fail-over routing, you have to have each ISP program in a
secondary (less preferred) route to your domain. This is a fairly
standard feature of all Cisco routers.

You will also have to put routes in each of your gateways (the DSL and
the T1) to handle the fail-over traffic and route it to the other
gateway.

The hardest part of this setup is getting the ISP to program their
routers properly for you.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes