[TriLUG] OT sanity check on proxy servers

Justin L. Skinner bofh at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 30 15:02:59 EST 2003

I say bull.

But a few things to check.
A) What's the end user's IP address ?  get it at www.whatismyip.com
B) What's it resolve to ?  get it at www.dnsstuff.com
C) What's a trace route look like between your end user and the website ?
D) Is the site themself maybe running a  reverse proxy and they don't even know it.. if you called first level support it's quite possible.
E) Maybe the end user is using Squid or something..and doesn't know it.

I guess it would also be good to note what the problem is.

Connection error, latency, random content errors.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Justin