[TriLUG] self-support alternatives to Novell/SUSE & RHEL

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Tue Nov 4 13:00:41 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:34:32AM -0500, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> Not that I want to start a distro war, but what's wrong with Debian?

I think the biggest hindrances are ease of install and the complete
lack of support unless the user wants to roll up sleeves and dig in
deep. Tools like fai and replicator aren't as mature as kickstart.
Debian has always prided itself on community -- even if it really is
kicking the user to the curb for not doing things on his own after
reading, reading, and more reading. In this sense, in an enterprise
environment where one needs to be able to fall back on a support team,
Debian will do more harm than good. Not that I'm against Debian at
all.

-D

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc