[TriLUG] self-support alternatives to Novell/SUSE & RHEL

Ilan Volow listboy at clarux.com
Tue Nov 4 13:19:18 EST 2003

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 10:29  AM, Magnus wrote:

> I know with Windows we weren't empowered to do much more than b*tch
> when we were handed changes that we didn't like.  This is Open Source.
>  Each and every one of us is empowered to fix things we don't like.

<heresy>
In a response that has nothing to do Novell/Suse et al but just with
some ideas that have been forming in my head about Open Source, I
recently came to the conclusion that Open Source only empowers those
who have the technical knowledge to make changes. For anyone who isn't
a programmer or a sysadmin, they are as powerless and unable to make
changes as they were with Microsoft. It only gets worse when you have a
situation where there are people who know how to fix things but don't
have the technical knowledge to do so, and there are people with the
technical know-how to make the fixes but who don't think there is a
problem and will in no way listen to the first group of people.
</heresy>

Sorry for the off-topic rant; just had to get that off my chest.

--Ilan

--
Ilan Volow
Ergonomica Auctorita Illico!