[TriLUG] Open Source Empowerment

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Wed Nov 5 09:38:09 EST 2003

Well Chris, whatever works for you is what you should use. I use both IE

>and OSS on a daily basis and my experience and the experience of
>everyone I've ever talked to on this subject (easily hundreds of people)
>is completely opposite of your experience. Perhaps the things that I
>consider bugs, like the opening of unrequested windows, aren't the same
>things that you consider bugs.
>-Lee

I do not like the unrequested window opening, but I have solved that by
adding the google toolbar, I know this is not the right way to do it but
this is my fix.  I like having the google toolbar in my browser, and I
like the option of not opening unrequested windows.  And in my shop all
the users HATE Mozilla when compared to IE, these people don't know what
companies make what.  In my shop we have over 200 users, and it is a
sysadmin nightmare to support Mozilla and Netscape in my opinion.  My
boss is a strong advocate of OSS and would like nothing more than to
eliminate all Micro$oft products from our office.  Problem is that our
vendors, such as Blue Cross Blue Shield, I work in a medical practice,
require IE.  Some of the hardware we are buying requires browsers to
load, I didn't buy these I may add, and Mozilla couldn't read the file
structure that came with the CD, dont know why.  As far as IE crashing
downloading, in my 5 years of using a computer I have never had IE crash
during a download, but on Linux I have had several mishaps with my
"/tmp" directory overfilling and then crashing I am sure this is my mistake.

Chris Bullock
Mandrake 9.2 user