[TriLUG] Open Source Empowerment

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 5 10:13:43 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 09:57, Roy Vestal wrote:
> I agree. My point is I had looked at all the distros at the time, slackware,
> debian, red hat, mandrake, peanut, etc...(before gentoo, sorry Lee) and I
> decided I liked Red Hat. I've learned it, I've developed a reputation
> because of it, I've "converted" folks from other Intel based OS's because I
> was able to show it's model as "ease-of-use". This has changed. Now if I
> keep red hat, I have to change.

How does the change of marketing models make Red Hat less easy to use?
I don't understand how the decision to make RHL less commerical, and
into more of a community-driven open source project, affects its
technical qualities.

> It's not that I do or don't have the choice. That's been solid. It's that
> I'm being FORCED to change or choose another. That I DON'T like.

What is forcing you?  Why can't you continue to use the Red Hat
"sequence" of products -- Red Hat Linux 9 followed by Fedora Core 1?
Have you even tried FC1 yet?  It hasn't been released, though an updated
test release is pretty close to the release version (I'm running it
here.)

Why base your technical decisions on /. FUD ?

--Jeremy