[TriLUG] Open Source Empowerment

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Wed Nov 5 10:45:50 EST 2003

> I don't understand how the decision to make RHL less commerical,
> and into more of a community-driven open source project, affects
> its technical qualities.

IMO, it calls into question its stability.  Which I'll go ahead and
cop to: that's FUD because we've not hit steady state with Fedora.

With RH letting go of the reins, I don't have a warm fuzzy that my
not-work servers are going to be secure, happy, and stable.  Fedora
may be the greatest thing since the Frappuccino, but at this point
I don't know how well/how long it'll be supported.  The high
release cycle could mean poking my head up every 2-3 months to do
an OS patch, assuming there won't be a long series of eratta patches
like we've had.

RHL walked a nice line between MUST HAVE LATEST NOWNOWNOW (which
is my impression of Debian's unstable tree) and "I could pass this
box to my children and it'd still work" (i.e. RHEL).  It worked well
for home and small office without needing to fork over for RHEL or
be always upgrading.  And now, that niche feels unfilled.