[TriLUG] Re: Linux for the desktop

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Nov 8 03:17:27 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 16:30, al johnson wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2003 01:09 pm, you wrote:
> > Janyne Kizer wrote:
> > > The missing pieces for us are -- desktop publishing (Microsoft
> > > Publisher-like application), easy to use graphics program (they have
> > > GIMP but find it to be overkill and I agree).
> >
> > For "easy to use graphics program" are you looking for something
> > like Paint Shop Pro?  I know CorelPaint was available for linux
> > for a while on a free (as in beer) basis.  Have you looked into
> > that? (Actually, I don't know if it is still available or not, sorry.)
> >
> ===================================
> Tanner, you've just brought up something that I think Tri-lug might be able
> to do to improve the desktop, when you mentioned "CorelPaint was available"
> ..."for a while.... "
>
>    Wouldn't it be smart if Tri-lug could create a software library of  Linux
> software which might be useful to members in the future.

When moving clients over to a Linux Desktop, I always point them to this
link:
http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml

It's a database (or library) of equivalent software for Windows/Linux -
with links to the products.

For an easy to use graphics program they point to:
  1) Kpaint.
  2) Tuxpaint.
  3) Xpaint.
  4) Gpaint.
  5) Killustrator.
  6) Graphtool.

I think you should look at TuxPaint. It can do some simple graphics very
easily (meaning that it has an interface that a kid - I mean a microsoft
user can easily access).
===

For Project management look at
http://outreach.sourceforge.net/

This is a web-based Project manager with some very nice features. I
haven't played with it yet, but it looks good.

HtH - Jon Carnes