[TriLUG] Re: Linux for the desktop

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 8 21:56:36 EST 2003

Well, I don't know how my name got mixed up in a discussion of what graphics
software is needed for Linux.  However, since I am mixed up in this
discussion and I'm pretty good at using Photoshop on my Mac, I would suggest
that real graphic professionals will tell you that if you could have just one
graphics program that program should be Photoshop.  I've asked several of
them about Gimp and they say that although the power is there,  the practical
feel of Photoshop isn't.  When you use Photoshop you almost instinctively
know where things are located, because the operations which are used most are
not hidden away as an option underneath something else. Let me give just one
example of what I'm talking about.
The best example I can think of is my search for Gimp's cropping tool. It
took me days until I was able to even find the cropping tool, several times I
actually thought that Gimp didn't have a cropping tool. This was because
unlike every other graphics program I've ever used which always has the
cropping tool close at hand (incidentally this even includes KDE Image Viewer
!!) and even then it is still takes too much time to use it in Gimp unless
you use Shift+C.  But doing this necessitates you taking your hand off the
mouse press two keys and then put your hand back on the mouse, etc.  As you
realize, this is very inefficient. But if you approach it using just the
mouse you first have to find it (it's located under "Tools" in a drop-down
menu-- two levels deep!!).  But even that isn't the end of it. You then have
to switch the cropping tool on before you can use it with only the mouse,
which brings us to the problem which everyone I've talked to about Gimp
says--- The program isn't intuitive and natural, because it doesn't consider
the most efficient ways to use the operations on graphic images, not to
mention making very common operations easy to locate. Good tools whether they
are software or hardware are intuitively easy to use, which Gimp is not. The
software is otherwise solid, but the GUI is just not well-done because it
doesn't take into consideration what happens when you use the tool. In other
words Gimp's GUI  isn't efficient. This makes me crop just about all my
images using KDE's Image Viewer, except for those images which are too large
to be cropped with that program because someone didn't consider that someone
might want to crop images which are larger than the screen they're using (on
this score Gimp is the superior Cropper, IF YOU CAN FIND THE COMMAND!! :-)).
Both pieces of software are basically solid, but they just need some
fine-tuning of these human interface problems. At least because they're both
open source, problems like these will soon be fixed, unless another Linux
graphics program beats both of them to the punch.  There's even a chance that
the Photoshop folks might port their software to Linux in the future, if the
dream of Linus Torvalds for a better Linux desktop is finally realized.--- Al
Johnson