[TriLUG] Modem on my 12xL500

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 13 02:07:09 EST 2003

On Friday 07 November 2003 06:43 pm, you wrote:
>   Hello,
>              I would be greatfull if you could tell me
> how to get the modem working on my presario.
> Everything else works but this. If I could get this
> working I could also get the wife to use it at home at
> least. Small steps.
>
>   Yours sincerely
>
>   Aidan.

================================
Hi Aidan,

      The answer to your question is simple: you simply need to find either
an external modem or a PCI modem that supports LInux.  Most guys and gals go
with the first option because most external modems will work with Linux, but
there are a few PCI modems that do support Linux. It took some time before I
found one that I use from US Robotics --USR 5610B (and there are a few others
as well).  My best advice is to get a list of the companies that manufacture
PCI modems and look up the different models to see if Linux is supported.
You may be able to spot the modems that will work by their cost alone,
because the ones that don't are usually the cheapest ones available.

I haven't seen or heard of an external modem which won't support Linux, but
it's possible there are some.  You can also check the hardware listings on
Red Hat and Mandrake etc. because they often have lists to help their
customers.  It is often said that you can't use Win-modems with Linux, but
this isn't an entirely true statement, because some Linux fans have figured
out how to make a few Winmodems work with Linux (with emphasis on the word
"few") using some very special software.  Finally if you have a motherboard
that has an ISA slot on it, several ISA modems will also work with Linux.
But the easiest answer to your question is to find the USR 5610B.  I use it
and it works great (others may have other recommendations as well.---  Al
Johnson.