[TriLUG] Burn Dreamcast CD under Linux?

Matt Matthews jvm at linuxgames.com
Tue Nov 18 15:44:37 EST 2003

I recently acquired a Sega Dreamcast. Among the things I'd like to try
are:
 - DC NES emulator
 - DC Linux distribution
I found instructions for burning a bootable Dreamcast CD online, such as
a text file that comes with NesterDC 7.1. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem
to work.

Basically, it creates a multisession CD with a throwaway audio track (4
seconds of silence, for example) first and then a data track. Then,
32768 bytes of bootloader were inserted into the image header and then
the resulting file burned to disc with cdrecord. The commands work
without errors, but the result is a disc that sends the Dreamcast to the
audio CD player. In short, it does not boot.

A recent page I read says the old method "involved a lot of fiddly
command lines, and created discs that weren't compatible with newer
Dreamcasts - in AUDIO/DATA format, as opposed to the newer DATA/DATA
format.."

I haven't been able to find anything newer for those of us using
cdrecord.

Has anyone done bootable CDs for a Dreamcast under Linux, and if so, how
did you do it? I have access to Windows which can do what I need, but
I'd prefer to do this under Linux, if only because I'm a stubborn jerk.

For the record, I have only ROMs for the NES games I own. I believe that
I've managed to stay clear of any blatant violations of copyright law in
trying to do this, but if someone knows differently, please let me know.

Regards,
matt

--
Curmudgeon Gamer - In your heart, you know they're right.
http://curmudgeongamer.com/