[TriLUG] Burn Dreamcast CD under Linux?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 19 09:31:39 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 15:44, Matt Matthews wrote:
> I recently acquired a Sega Dreamcast. Among the things I'd like to try
> are:
>  - DC NES emulator
>  - DC Linux distribution
> I found instructions for burning a bootable Dreamcast CD online, such as
> a text file that comes with NesterDC 7.1. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem
> to work.
>
> Basically, it creates a multisession CD with a throwaway audio track (4
> seconds of silence, for example) first and then a data track. Then,
> 32768 bytes of bootloader were inserted into the image header and then
> the resulting file burned to disc with cdrecord. The commands work
> without errors, but the result is a disc that sends the Dreamcast to the
> audio CD player. In short, it does not boot.

[...]
> Has anyone done bootable CDs for a Dreamcast under Linux, and if so, how
> did you do it? I have access to Windows which can do what I need, but
> I'd prefer to do this under Linux, if only because I'm a stubborn jerk.

I've never used or even seeen a Dreamcast (shows you how much of a gamer
I'm not), but have you experimented with the "Disc at once" versus
"track at once" modes?  Also, I think there are options to set the
amount of space between tracks.  Those might be some things to play
around with if you have a lot of blank CD-R's lying around.  :-)

--Jeremy