[TriLUG] OT: cell phone reccomendations

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Nov 20 09:15:50 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 08:58, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 20:12, Greg Brown wrote:
> > It's time to make my 12-24 month commitment to a cell phone carrier.  I
> > have Verizon and I'm looking to make a change.  I liked the idea of
> > Sprint's PCS w/Vision service that allows you to connect to the
> > Internet over the USB connection the phone but I've heard that the data
> > rates have dropped to around 28.8 levels.  Is this what everyone else
> > has seen?
>
> PCS Vision has been advertising as "50-70 Kbps" rates.  That's certainly
> better than 28.8 -- the question is are they advertising falsely or
> not?  I suppose it depends if you're using it at peak times, or in busy
> places.

I've seen live Linux demos of the SprintPCS cardbus adapters working and
they're mighty cool.  See:

  http://www.tummy.com/articles/laptops/merlin-c201/
  http://modular.fas.harvard.edu/sprint_merlin/
  http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/sanyo-4900.php

for some details on how to get them going with Linux.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com