[TriLUG] performance enhancements?

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Fri Nov 21 02:53:21 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:13:42PM -0500, bdsmith at nc.rr.com wrote:
> I'm in the process of setting up Linux on my desktop machine, and am wondering what I can do to optimize the machine?s performance. I'm using reiserfs, I've tweaked the hard drive with hdparm, and I've set up prelinking. Since I'm running Gentoo, I?ve also taken advantage of some of Gentoo?s distro-specific performance enhancements (tweaked the use and compile time flags, used the desktop tuned Gentoo kernel sources). Are there any other general tweaks I can do to enhance responsivness/performance? This box is intended for everyday desktop use with a fair amount of gaming.

Generally speaking, a 2.6.0-test kernel with NPTL-enabled glibc is worth
looking into. You may also wish to consider Nick Piggin's additional
scheduler tweaks for interactivity,
http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v19a/
I also recommend a stripped-down window manager like Openbox3. There are
countless additional nudges you can give, like using noatime as a mount
option for the filesystems you use that support it. (I believe reiser
has a tail-packing option, too.)

[It's worth mentioning that there are a fair number of caveats as well.
Please read http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt]

-D

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc