[TriLUG] fedora / xmms problem (and AAC question)

ryan wheaton ryan.wheaton at comcast.net
Sun Nov 30 13:39:17 EST 2003

Hello.

Hope y'all all had a wonderful turkey day.

I've got a strange problem for y'all.  I'm running Fedora Core 1, and
when I first had everything installed, I tried to run xmms to play some
mp3s, but it came up with a warning saying that it couldn't play mp3s
because of some lawblahblahblah.  So, I figured that was just RedHat's
version of xmms, so I uninstalled it and installed the version from the
xmms site.  Now, it play mp3s fine when I run it as root (figured this
out by accident), but when I try to run xmms as a user, it pops up the
can't play mp3's message again.  I can't figure out what's different
when running it as root.  it seems to be running the same executable:

[root at catfart ryan]# which xmms
/usr/bin/xmms
[root at catfart ryan]# exit
exit
[ryan at catfart ryan]$ which xmms
/usr/bin/xmms

anyone got any ideas what i'm overlooking here?

also, does anyone know of a good AAC (m4a) file player for linux?  I had
my PowerBook (iTunes) set to rip my CDs as m4s's instead of mp3's...

thanks,

-r