[TriLUG] Wireless at Lowes

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 30 22:50:42 EST 2003

I've actually been looking into this and I don't have a clear answer
however the law is fairly clear that if you DO attach to a network in
any way, shape, or form and you cause damage or otherwise use that
connection for malicious activity you are in violation of many laws.

Now, there is a big difference between using a program like netstumbler
which listens for ESSID broadcasts and actually hopping on a wireless
network (yeah, yeah, NS does some broadcasting to initiate responses
but let's keep the argument simple).  I've done the latter several
times by accident but since I wasn't doing anything malicious, and I
changed my network when I discovered my error, I don't see how a jury
could convict me if I did break the law (assuming that I could get a
jury that could understand networks and such).

The neighbor kid was dumb enough to try to crack my wep keys.  The
first time it happened I walked over to his house and had a sit-down
with him and his parents.  I made it clear the next time he tried it I
would be contacting law enforcement.  There hasn't been a second time
though I am moving to IPSec over OpenBSD to combat such activity in the
future.

Greg