[TriLUG] fedora / xmms problem (and AAC question)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sun Nov 30 16:09:45 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 13:39, ryan wheaton wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Hope y'all all had a wonderful turkey day.
>
> I've got a strange problem for y'all.  I'm running Fedora Core 1, and
> when I first had everything installed, I tried to run xmms to play some
> mp3s, but it came up with a warning saying that it couldn't play mp3s
> because of some lawblahblahblah.  So, I figured that was just RedHat's
> version of xmms, so I uninstalled it and installed the version from the
> xmms site.

I would recommend you uninstall the "upstream" version of xmms and
reinstall the Red Hat version.  Then, download the "xmms-mp3" package
from rpm.livna.org, which will enable you to play MP3s with the Red Hat
version.

This should solve your permissions problem.  Also, consider using Ogg
Vorbis format instead of the patent-encumbered, non-Free MP3.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |