[TriLUG] fedora / xmms problem (and AAC question)

ryan wheaton ryan.wheaton at comcast.net
Sun Nov 30 23:35:50 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 14:19, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> I would recommend you uninstall the "upstream" version of xmms and
> reinstall the Red Hat version.  Then, download the "xmms-mp3" package
> from rpm.livna.org, which will enable you to play MP3s with the Red Hat
> version.

Thanks for this tip..  It fixed it right up.

As for my AAC problem.  I found xmms-aac from freshrpms.net to be what I
was looking for.

> This should solve your permissions problem.  Also, consider using Ogg
> Vorbis format instead of the patent-encumbered, non-Free MP3.

Yea, this would be nice, to have a format that didn't involve patents,
and was usable on all platforms...  But.. the bottom line is -- .ogg's
don't play on my iPod.  mp3's are much more universal across all the
platforms that I use, so that is why i am stuck on mp3s.

thanks for y'alls help again.

-r