[TriLUG] hard drive error/meltdown imminent

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Mon Dec 1 16:56:17 EST 2003

> You can also try Western Digital's diagnostic utilities.  Depending
> on your warranty status, they may replace it for you!  This may,
> however, require you to attach your drive to a machine running that
> other OS.
>
> http://support.wdc.com/download/#diagutils

regarding this issue, here's a snippet of a discussion i recently had
with WD support:

Discussion Thread
Response (Jason N.) - 10/13/2003 10:25 AM
You do not need to test the drive to replace it.  If you would like a
Data Lifeguard Tools disk, please call us at 800-275-4932.

Customer (jason tower) - 10/10/2003 10:22 AM
so let me make sure i understand this...the only way i can verify that a
disk is failed before submitting a RMA is to either

1. somehow conjure up a windows PC (i run a linux consulting business
and
do not have windows PCs or software available) or

2. pay you additional money to test your product.

i'm sorry, but i do not find either of these options acceptable.  all i
require is a 1.4MB floppy image containing the diagnostic utilities,
this
is something that western digital should be able to provide on their
download page.  if you are unable to assist me with obtaining this
floppy
image, please escalate this call to someone who can.

Response (Jason N.) - 10/10/2003 09:55 AM
You can create the bootable floppy from another system running Windows,
or you can purchase a copy of the software for $7.95 by calling us at
800-275-4932.

Customer (jason tower) - 10/10/2003 09:48 AM
i have a suspected bad 2000JB disk that i would like to test before
submitting a RMA.  i have no windows PCs (only linux) so .exe files are
useless to me.  how can i create a boot floppy?