[TriLUG] mail help needed

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Tue Dec 2 09:41:31 EST 2003

I've got a setup very similar to that.  Here's how it works:

Mandrake 9.2

My email collects in my various accounts... @triad.rr.com, @uncg.edu,
etc.

Fetchmail runs on my linux box (which is also my router/firewall) every
couple of minutes and "fetches" that mail for me.  The headers are 100%
preserved.

Mail enters my system through Postfix and is treated the same as if it
were originally bound for mhrivnak at hrivnak.org (which is the account it
ends up being stored in here).

Postfix filters all incoming mail through spamassassin.

I access my email through imap, but I could just as easily use pop3 if I
liked.  Both protocols work pretty much out-of-the-box.  The only
complicated part was the optional addition of SSL, which prevents me
from blasting my username and password across the net in plain text.

I use imap so I can access my email easily form anywhere and any client.
Since the imap server is on my LAN, it's very fast.  I do work in both
windows and linux, and like to access my email from both.  I also access
it from my desktop system and my laptop.  To top it off, I installed
openwebmail which provides a very fancy web interface as a full-featured
mail client as well as allowing me full access to read/write my home
directory.

Do you every get annoyed at having to change the smtp server in you mail
client when you take your laptop elsewhere?  My next project is to
enable SMTP authentication so that I can send mail from anywhere in the
world through my home server, which will then relay through the
roadrunner server.

This can be done on a fairly crappy system.  It runs very well currently
on a Celeron 466 with 320 mb ram, but I ran a similar setup with
slackware on a Pentium 60 with 48 mb ram!

Anyway, after this whole process, the email does not look or feel any
different.  The raw header has a few additions, but the "From:" "To:"
etc. fields are all preserved.  For example, here's the header from the
email you sent: