[TriLUG] rc.X -- how do the real sysadmins do it?

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 3 14:58:58 EST 2003

James,

Yes, that's correct.  You do have to do it in each runlevel where the init
script lives.  Of course, I've been using Solaris for a while now, and so
there typically is only one case of any given init script, where in Linux
you might have more.  So you may have more commands to run, but then again,
how often are you doing this?  If you're doing it often enough that a couple
of extra command lines are too time consuming to run, then you are probably
doing something that should be scripted and cronned, I would think.  Most
init script manipulation is done when the box is built, to secure it before
placing it on the network.  Otherwise, you're doing something that is much
more granular, and can/should probably be scripted and scheduled to turn the
service on or off.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--