[TriLUG] rc.X -- how do the real sysadmins do it?

Chip Turner cturner at pattern.net
Wed Dec 3 15:01:14 EST 2003

James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com> writes:

> > My methodology, which I learned from some highly experienced sysadmins over
> > the years, has advantages in that it leaves no confusion as to the original
> > intention of the script, and leaves the script available to be re-enabled at
> > any time the admin chooses using a simple 'mv' command.  Sometimes it's not
> > just about making it easy, but also making it clearly recognizable.
>
> just to be clear, your methodology has the sysadmin do the renames in
> each rcX.d runlevel, right?  Just trying to get a feel for the number
> of commands vs. "chkconfig foo off"

Generally speaking, you really want to use chkconfig instead of
munging files manually.  chkconfig insulates you from subtle changes
to the init system as well as having a number of useful features.
Also, all rpm's that have services will use chkconfig, so if you do
something weird manually, you may be bitten by it six months later
when an errata comes out and it tries to use chkconfig but your init
symlinks aren't quite what it expects.

Full docs are available in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-* (at least on
RH boxes).

Chip

Chip Turner                   cturner at pattern.net