[TriLUG] once in a lifetime - Jason Tower speaks at Triangle NT Users Group on Tuesday (no, he didn't defect - he is speaking on Linux)

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Dec 7 11:38:03 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 09:47, Ed Hill wrote:

> > About
> > Our group has represented the local area group of the top tier of system
> > administrators and network engineers for the most highly-respected
> > businesses in this region since 1995.   Our membership is free to all
> > interested computer professionals; however, our membership is restricted
> > only to professionals (no hobbyists).  We request yet do not require that
>
> <sarcasm type="friendly" >
>
>   Good move!  Hobbyists are *awful* critters.  You know, those really
>   annoying sorts who work on computers just because they love them.
>   It would be simply degrading if such goof-balls were allowed to
>   hobnob with the serious professionals.  You have to keep them at
>   arm's length.
>
> </sarcasm>
>

> Ed

It's not hard to see the point of the above restriction. Use of Windows
in a business situation is very different from that of a home Hobbyist.
If their charter is to encourage and aid the use of Windows in
businesses then it's a good rule, and helps to keep their focus on a
professional level.

Even the TriLUG list shows this striation. We tend to feed and nourish
four or five various populations. The population I pay the most
attention to are the folks who work with OpenSource as a part of their
network infrastructure... but I do glean an occasional nugget of gold
from the other populations.

===
Now as to Jtower "owning" Daleth... sounds like we need a showdown
shoot-out sometime today!

Jon