[TriLUG] delivery of spool email

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 9 16:34:58 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 16:09, Michael Hrivnak wrote:
> I wonder about my mail configuration.  I run a local IMAP and SMTP
> server on Mandrake 9.2 with Postfix.  The default setup keeps a user's
> Inbox as /var/spool/mail/username.  Any other IMAP folders that are
> added reside as /home/username/foldername.
>
> Is this typical?  It seems to me that I'd rather get mail out of the
> server spool and into a user's home directory.
>
> While I'm at it, it might be nice to put IMAP folders in
> /home/username/mail/foldername for the sake of neatness.
>
> How do you set yours up?  How might I go about modifying my setup for a
> more practical layout?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

This is typical.  You can change this behavior (it's procmail that is
doing the local delivery), but as it is setup both IMAP and POP will
work fine using the same spool for incoming mail.

If you do wish to change it, then I recommend using a small procmail.rc
filtering script and moving the incoming mail into another folder in
your home mail directory, rather than changing the default location of
the incoming mail spool.

Jon Carnes