[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Connecting a Cisco router to a Linux box via serial connection?

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 09:03:37 EST 2003

Hi guys, have a question for you router experts! I'm thinking about
going for my CCNA certification, and found today that we have a spare
(old) Cisco 1601-R laying around the office not being used.  I thought
I'd set it up in a spare cube and use it to play around with as I learn
Cisco router stuff.

The issue I have though, is that this Cisco box was designed strictly
for connecting WAN -> LAN. That is, it has one Ethernet interface, and
one serial interface only (plus a slot for an optional WAN interface card).

So, given that,  Could I possibly do a straight serial -> serial
connection to a Linux box setup to simulate the upstream router at an
ISP? If so, I'd appreciate any pointers on how to proceed...

Oh, I should probably add that I'm willing to purchase either another
WAN interface for the Cisco, and/or additional interface boards for my
PC, if needed, assuming the price isn't outrageous.

Some Google searching indicates that it's not easy (if possible) to
connect the Cisco serial port to a PC serial port, due to the Cisco
being synchronous only, and the PC asynchronous only. However, I
understand that you can buy a synchronous serial interface board for a
PC... so if something like this would be an option, I'd go that route
(no pun intended), as long as it's not too expensive.

More info is still appreciated though.. for example, if what I'm
describing is even possible, I'd need to know what kind of board to buy
for the PC and maybe some pointers on how to configure this setup...

Or if it's just plain not possible, somebody please tell me so I won't
waste time on this.

Thanks,

Phillip R.

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org