[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Connecting a Cisco router to a Linux box via serial connection?

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Wed Dec 24 09:38:38 EST 2003

Phillip Rhodes wrote:

> Hi guys, have a question for you router experts! I'm thinking about
> going for my CCNA certification, and found today that we have a spare
> (old) Cisco 1601-R laying around the office not being used.  I thought
> I'd set it up in a spare cube and use it to play around with as I
> learn Cisco router stuff.

When I took the CCNA, there wasn't any need to set up "external"
interfaces, only know the protocols associated with it.

> The issue I have though, is that this Cisco box was designed strictly
> for connecting WAN -> LAN. That is, it has one Ethernet interface, and
> one serial interface only (plus a slot for an optional WAN interface
> card).
>
> So, given that,  Could I possibly do a straight serial -> serial
> connection to a Linux box setup to simulate the upstream router at an
> ISP? If so, I'd appreciate any pointers on how to proceed...

I believe the term serial for the Cisco is a little different than a
standard pc serial port but I am not sure.  Plus you would have to have
a CSU/DSU card for 1 or both machines, which depending on you router it
may be build in to the WAN card

> Oh, I should probably add that I'm willing to purchase either another
> WAN interface for the Cisco, and/or additional interface boards for my
> PC, if needed, assuming the price isn't outrageous.

Depends on what you consider outrageous, last time I checked the card
was >$500 for the Cisco and ~$900 for the Linux card

> Some Google searching indicates that it's not easy (if possible) to
> connect the Cisco serial port to a PC serial port, due to the Cisco
> being synchronous only, and the PC asynchronous only. However, I
> understand that you can buy a synchronous serial interface board for a
> PC... so if something like this would be an option, I'd go that route
> (no pun intended), as long as it's not too expensive.
>
> More info is still appreciated though.. for example, if what I'm
> describing is even possible, I'd need to know what kind of board to
> buy for the PC and maybe some pointers on how to configure this setup...
>
> Or if it's just plain not possible, somebody please tell me so I won't
> waste time on this.

I would investigate to see if there is a product called freesco still
floating around, which used to be a linux distro dedicated to Cisco
routing, or try VMware.  Or go to your local bookstore and buy the
ExamCram CCNA study guide.