[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Connecting a Cisco router to a Linux box via serial connection?

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 10:26:18 EST 2003

Chris Bullock wrote:

> When I took the CCNA, there wasn't any need to set up "external"
> interfaces, only know the protocols associated with it.

That's cool... I was just hoping to actually get it hooked to something
on both sides, so I could actually have it route traffic in a
semi-realistic environment...  just as a learning thing, ya know?

> I would investigate to see if there is a product called freesco still
> floating around, which used to be a linux distro dedicated to Cisco
> routing, or try VMware.  Or go to your local bookstore and buy the
> ExamCram CCNA study guide.

Yeah, I've got some CCNA study guides already... but I don't want to be
a "paper CCNA" assuming I pass... I'd like to have some hands-on
experience as well, even if it is done in a non-production environment.

That said, Wake Tech offers some cisco classes, and they have nice
fully-equipped labs with all sorts of Cisco gear... so I might take
their class(es) down the road.

Another thing I think I could do, is buy another Cisco router
(the cheap ones can be found on E-bay for not too much money)
connect the two routers serial -> serial (which I know can be done,
I found directions for that using Google) and then I'll have my
two separate networks.  Actually, I may wind up buying a few Cisco
boxes and build myself a moderately sophisticated "test lab"... heh.

Thanks!

TTYL,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org